Sunday, June 27, 2010

On the farm!

Today was my third day on Maddalena and Claudio's farm. The farm is absolutely beautiful. We're located in the hills outside Siena; the farm itself is about 2km up a dirt road and an ENORMOUSE hill- definitely FAR off the tourist trail. Maddalena and Claudio live in an old farmhouse and I have my own room downstairs. The garden outside overlooks the pastures and surrounding forests and mountains. I really can't think of a more beautiful place, and the family is absolutely wonderful. They host a lot of WWOOFers, so they're welcoming and patient with my Italian and general lack of agricultural knowledge.

Already I've settled into a routine. My typical day looks something like this: (Shoutout to the Livengoods- I ACTUALLY have country-folk duties!!)
5.30 wake up
5.45 breakfast & coffee (biscotti and cafelatte- expresso with sheep milk)
6.00 Claudio and I milk the sheep (all 117 of them) and then I take them to pasture- herd them through the forest to the open fields with the help of the three GIANT sheep dogs, Balu, Maya and Bella
9.00 Coffee break
9.30 Help Claudio with cheesemaking in the caseificio. He makes cheese twice a week and other days it's necessary to turn, wash, oil or move the cheese. We also do other odd jobs around the farm during this time
12.30 Help Nonna (grandma) make lunch: always something very filling! Usually includes pasta, bread, wine, lots of fresh cheese & eggs, more bread, more pasta, more coffee.
1.00 EAT
2.00 Siesta. It's the hottest part of the day so everyone takes a couple hours to digest lunch
4.00 milk the sheep again and take them out to pasture again
6.00 I'm free, so I have been taking the opportunity to explore the area on my bike. Claudio has lots of good recomendations for the most scenic or interesting routes. The hills around Siena are really just stunningly beautiful- although I certainly pay for it! So far the shortest possible loop route I've found is 30km long with 400m of vertical.
8.30 Dinner. Again, something delicious & home cooked with at least a half gallon of olive oil. (I've been helping and watching in the kitchen and I have discovered the true secret to Italian cooking- No dish allowed that isn't at least 20% olive oil by weight) Fresh vegetables from the garden, second helpings of pasta that you are not allowed to refuse, more fresh ricotta cheese, parmagiano on everything, a fourth helping of bread to soak up the pomodoro sauce that you are not allowed to leave on your plate, more wine, and then cafe to give you just enough energy to stand up and walk to bed before...
10.00 collapse into bed.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha.. who would have guessed that you would eventually have country folk duties which include milking sheep! :-p That sounds amazing!

    So when you get back, are you going to attempt to cook traditional italian meals? :-) I'm so glad that you got off the main drag! It sounds liek you are truely getting a taste of what italy is about! :-) im excited to see these pictures!!!

    Hit a museum while you're there!!!!!

    Love you!
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news is your are biking to keep off all the weight normal lazy tourists put on while they are in Italy! Love following your journey - can't wait for the cooking Molly is talking about :)

    ReplyDelete