Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tourist Land

The past couple days I have been taking my time, stopping in some of the biggest cities on my itinerary. I spent a day in Bologna, 2 days in Firenze, and now a day in Siena. The cities are VERY different from the countryside. Here its possible to get around using English, and there are tourists EVERYWHERE. There is certainly a good reason for it though; the cities are really fabulous.

In Firenze I met a couple fellow travellers and we saw the Duomo, Museo Uffizi, and Porte Veccio together. Ive been staying in urban campgrounds, which are great places to meet other travellers and catch the most important World Cup games. Ive also met a few other cyclists on tour, who have recommended routs to me.

A couple of guys from Holland are following a popular itinerary for bikers, and they assured me that their route was the flattest and most beautiful. I took their advice in planning my course through Chiani (famouse wine, food country between Firenze and Siena). They got the 'most scenic' part right, but their route was CERTAINLY not flat. The road followed mountain ridges with panoramic views of the Tuscan countryside, and LOTS of up and down. I'm amazed at just how mountainous Toscana is. Much of the land (I estimate 75%) isnt actually farmed, but forested, because its just too steep.

Today I'm resting my legs in Siena, which is just too cool. Much as I pride myself on my aptitude for maps and mazes, I reckon I have spent more than half my time here completely lost. The city is literally a mideval maze of narrow streets and secret passageways. The streets are so narrow you cant see the sun, which keeps the city cool, but also makes it impossible to stay oriented.

Tomorrow I will be arriving at my farm, which Im looking forward to. Being on the road has been so exciting, with suprises every day, but I think it will be a nice change to stay in one place for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment