Monday, June 21, 2010

Suprise Party

Near Bologna, I was riding through castle country when I met another cyclist, Nino. We met at the top of this mountain where there is an old castle-villiage. He knew heaps about Italian history, and regularly biked in that area, so he gave me a mini tour of the village then asked if I wanted to see an even better castle, MonteVeglio. I was pretty tired, but he was so nice I didnt want to refuse. After the second castle, he asked if I would like to stay with his family for the night and go to a festa with him. His accent was pretty thick, so I couldnt understand everything he said, but I agreed anyway- you know how I can't turn down offers from strangers.
When we got to his house all of a sudden he was in a big hurry and I couldnt quite figure out why. His brother arrived and drove us to the festa. When we got inside this big old building we walked into a room with about 70 people all sitting around one big table. The lights were out and everyone was whispering. We sat down and everyone was hushing everyone. Then about 2 minutes later, an old man walked in and the lights cam on, everyone jumped up and yelled BUON COMPLEANO!! I think I was just about as suprised as the birthday signore.
Everyone started eating and drinking right away and everyone, especially all the old men, wanted to meet me and give me more wine. The food was some of the most incredible Ive ever had. Were in the region of Italy famous for the fresh cherries (in season now) parmesano cheese and the sausage. I just couldnt believe how welcoming and happy everyone was to have me, constantly forcing more food on me and giving me complimenti for traveling by bike.
After the first course a couple of the birthday signora(80 years old!)s best friends (Nino included) stood up and read original poems about him. They were so dramatic, with lots of crazy hand motions and toasts throughout. (I would understand a bit, then be confused by a stanza, then everyone would crack up.) Then there was more food, more wine, dessert, more wine...

No comments:

Post a Comment